I am faced with an unexpectedly difficult decision. I have been offered a professional position that I worked diligently to convey my desire for and ability to do.  Throughout the application and interview process I was sure I wanted the job.  I was concerned I might jinx the offer if I spoke of it, hoped for it or planned on it.  The job is geographically displaced from my current location, and would involve a major move across a great distance.  The move would have to be achieved very quickly, from offer to start in 1 1/2 weeks, ideally.

The timing perfectly coincides with the ending of my current obligation.  I have a 'new' car that can safely travel the distance and transport my cats, plants and necessary goods.

I respect and admire the organization; in fact I have looked up to their process and product for over a decade.  I consider them a leader in the field.

And yet, I am leaning toward declining the position.  I am agonizing over the decision.

While the annual pay is nearly double what I earn as a part time employee in my current field, it is barely enough to live on annually, after taxes, in the region in which it is located.  While my income increases by approximately 50% my housing expenses increases 300%.
     analogously - imagine I now earn
                      $100 and pay $15 for housing  - leaving $85 for everything else
                             -  if I take the new job I will earn
                       $150 and pay $75 in housing  - leaving $75 for everything else
you can see how the pay increase looses its value immediately. make more money to have less to spend on expenses, I can barely afford to pay my bills now, sharing all expenses with my partner, lifemate, soulmate.  When I am across the country in a separate apartment, paying separate utilities, separate internet / cellphone and buying separate groceries, I can only imagine falling further behind.  Not to mention the cost of the benefits provided will cost me monthly new expense.

Money is not the only influence, or even the most impactful aspect of my decision - never has been.  More important is the work, the culture of the company and my life at large -
professional challenges, personal relationships - and I don't know that making the change will fuel my passion - though it would challenge and teach me new and unknown things.
I am not yet even sure what to decide.

Comments

Popular Posts