Chores for Tranquility

I listened to knit.fm. podcast as I folded my clean laundry, washed another load, swept the floors... in other words completed my morning chores.  I find when I approach chores without an aura of rush or duty the experience is zen like.  My mind clears, my breathing slows to a soothing rhythm, and my body  syncs with my mind.  Meditative action, actually.  Even the podcast becomes a sort of white noise in the holistic-ness of the action. When I say white noise I do not imply 'static', rather a soothing constant.

I pause the tasks to type an entry.  My cat gives me a slow blink from his reclined pose.  The parakeets wings flutter rapidly andI look out the window to watch a hawk fly low and slow by, as the spruce boughs shake on the subtle breeze. Ah, a morning of tranquility.

The meditative time will transition into exercise as I intentionally add active to my day.  Later I will lunch on raw delicious veggies before heading out to teach the final class of the semester.  The day will round out with new electronic device activation and knitting (or crochet depending on my mood.)

I foresee an evening with socialization of some sort - bridge group, or knitting class, or a movie at the theatre after dinner out (a rare treat).

As I summarize my day, much of it before it happens, I am pleased with the balanced content. A deep breath of satisfaction and gratitude.

Comments

Popular Posts