Curves and Nerves

My body continues to challenge my self-image, teaching me lessons of acceptance.  My body is dedicated to abundance and luscious curves, ever expanding in surprising ways.
Today I realized I need to embrace the reality of me rather than try to deny and criticize. I can move and flow - walking, dancing, bending, stretching and standing tall in stillness.
I completed my morning yoga and strength conditioning after tea and a chapter in my book. I feel invigorated after the yoga - blood flowing, energy released and muscles and ligaments loosened.  I enjoy the poses and the pace, concentrating on my breathing and just being present in my space, in my mind, in my body.
Afterward I pick up my weights and do the series of steps and lifts intended to build muscle to maintain a healthy 'core', increase metabolism, and improve bone density. I feel a sense of accomplishment and of strength.
Afterward I weigh in, and am almost disheartened by the persistent weight gain (another 5 pounds). I am mystified... but then let go of the negative energy begging entry in the form of negative body image. Weight is not the main measure of wellness, and I feel well overall. My blood tests reveal no problems, so I chose to thank my body for its strength, mobility, grace, and abundance.
Yes I will continue my journey to wellness, enhancing my endurance, expanding my flexibility, increasing my strength and pushing my limits ever so gently.
Today's goals are water and fiber intake. I have slipped in my hydration, so I will attend to it throughout the day - water adequate to support my energy and mood. Fiber to support my digestion and help rid me of the ever present toxins of our modern world.
I know I will have moments that challenge my current accepting state of mind.  I will be tempted to succumb to the perceptions of beauty based on weight.  However, right now I am pleased to be able to truly feel positive about my body.

Strong legs stand solid,
striding into the world
steadfast
Wide waist,
womenly
able to undulate, bend
worthy to  commend
Hips sway and sashay
Arms reach, hold, hug,
strong and solid


Comments

Popular Posts