What dreams wellness

Insomnia - that dreaded demon of difficulty falling asleep, easily wakened (by cat jumps, cricket chirps, creaking floorboard, passing car, headlights, thunder, rain, bed partner tossing, turning, snoring, standing.... the slightest shift in sound, light, touch...) then difficulty returning to sleep.  The lack of adequate rest compounds, exponentially exacerbates, catalyzes, triggers all other ailments or elements of unwellness.  Stress is increased, which perpetuates insomnia, which increases stress which aggravates migraines - and all of the sudden I am in the midst of a spiral whirling away from wellness like a tumbleweed across the arid landscape of my soul.

Maybe my metaphor developed a case of 'melodramatic' or maybe merely melancholy; nonetheless I am ever aware of my need for more sleep and more restful sleep.  I awoke this morning with the bags under my eyes a fainter purple and smaller pouch than they have been for months.  My 'husbands' early morning departure for work takes a heavy toll on my, as nearing morning is when I am finally getting good quality sleep, only to be awakened before 5 am (before 5 am!!). After which point I struggle for an hour to return to slumber, then awaken at 7.  If I could stay sleeping uninterupted from 3 am to 7 am, wow what a boon that would be.

Out apartment, labelled 1 bedroom, is really more an open floorplan - the walls twixt bedroom and kitchen have glassless windows - a 3 foot by 6 foot opening spanning the top half of the wall. Lots of light floods in from his morning readying room to the bedroom. The wall between the living and bedroom has an equally large opening. Suffice it to say, when he is up and dressing and wandering around the apartment, he cannot avoid the light and noise penetrating the sleeping space. 

Some morning I fall back to a deep sleep immediately, not even hearing him leave.  Not lately though. I lie in bed breathing slowly, eyes closed willing myself to sleep.  I resort to listening to Harry Potter on tape (the soothing tones of Jim Dale and a story known so well no suspense remains, I don't even need to listen to any of them in order... the thread of the tale is well worn in my hands).

Lack of sleep is the number 1 trigger for my migraines. Compound that with the orbit of the Earth entering Autumnal seasonal changes, (light, temperature, barometric pressure all shifting and changing) and I am fending off the onset of a migraine for the 4th time in 16 days.  A record for me? I wonder.

I have introduced acupuncture into my wellness plan.  I have had 2 visits already, another planned for tomorrow (Monday) and another for Wednesday making 4 in one week.  Everyone keeps asking if it has helped.  I don't know. It is too soon.  I never really feel any different after, but... I have yet to go with an all out migraine, so I cannot report its amazing healing effects.  I merely hope and almost trust the pin pricking will help heal my disquieted chi.

Long have I written tonight on the journey I am trying to make to wellness, I still have more to add.  In the last week I have seen a new Dr. started acupuncutre treatments, made a visit to the chiro for an adjustment, scheduled (and rescheduled) a thermography. Tomorrow I begin a yoga class. I have been meditating and started practicing 'heart math' this past week.  (Which is a meditative act as far as I am concerned).  I have exercised moderately for at least a 1/2 an hour every other day.  I am eating fresh veg, drinking water and herbal tea, taking my supplements consistently.  I want to be pain free.  I want the migraines to cease.  I want to rest deeply. 

I want a quality of life that allows smiles, laughter, movement and freedom from fear of unexpected, unpredictable frequent pain.

I am committed to the journey.  I believe. I believe. I believe.

Comments

Popular Posts