Good day to you!
  I spent a couple of productive and meditative hours in the garden this morning. Sounds incongruous, right? Productive and meditative. I am completely present in the moment of experience in the garden, interacting with individual plants, sharing a conversation of sorts. I am also fully present in the sensation of temperature, light, moisture, wind, and smell of soil, leaf, and root. The meditative nature exists in the sensations and full mindful presence in the moment. I enjoy being out of my head and in my body and spirit. 
Bottom basket full of small dark green leaves of mint plant and shears and twin, top basket filled with dusky bright lime green burdock leavesThe productivity occurs as a result - I dug roots to clean and dry and I harvested leaves both to be eventually used in medicinal tisanes.  I am grateful to have been well enough to dig and harvest, for the previous month has been full of days where I could not have mustered such strength, accomplished such tasks, or even been outside that long.

Today, I got out the spade and dug out the deep taproots of burdock. I then had to figure how to cleave the tough fibrous stalk from the equally tough fibrous root. Later I came inside and diligently scrubbed the mud from the roots. I will, later today, slice the roots and dry them in the oven on the lowest setting. I dry most of my herb in the 'drying room' my upstairs is perfectly suited to be in summer - hot, dry, breezy, and nooks out of sunshine. However, a reference text on my ever expanding herbal reference text shelf recommeneds a warmer temp for drying dandelion or burdock - to kill off any microbes remaining from the soil. 

While in the garden, I noticed this bright little beetle on the top of a burdock, so I quick ran in and grabbed my 'not phone' to snap a pic.

Other fun tasks to be accomplished in a balance of meditation and productivity? I will make homemade gluten-free ravioli stuffed with creamed cashew, garlic and lambs quarter.

I may also harvest some dandelion greens fresh, and make a dandelion, basil, walnut pesto.

I want to bake a loaf of bread, but I do not want to have the oven on... so... maybe not. Same with crackers...

Comments

Popular Posts