Those overalls I covet

When the stores don't carry those overalls I covet. A simple set of overalls in denim or corduroy, like the ones I have had since 1997, but now no longer fit, is all I desire. I have looked and looked for nearly 3 years in various stores (department, specialty), both in men's clothing and women's clothing sections, to no avail.
When I did find overalls either they were a strange style (jeans with suspenders, basically), the wrong size, (men's overalls to fit my girth were inevitably way too long in the torso), or just fit not quite comfortably. Yes, I admit I am 'picky' (or more pleasantly stated, selective).
So, I finally decided to make a pair of overalls - viola! Then into my world came 2 patterns. So I set out to find some fabric and give it a go!
The edition of pattern for the exact style I want to make, McCalls, I think, is for small medium, which I am not. I did not want to fuss with modifying the pattern, so I decided to make the more 'artsy' style overalls of the Burda pattern.
While I free form most creations, willingly deviating from pattern or recipe, when I even use a pattern or recipe, sewing garments is not the same.
If I am making garment I must meticulously follow instructions and heed patterning. Maybe if I spend more time sewing garments, I may learn to free-style. Though, even when  I was working the costume shop in college I dutifully and carefully followed patterns or suffered errors of creation.
The process of making is meditative for me in many ways. My focus hones into the task I enter that lovely happy concentration mindset. From cutting out the tissue paper pattern pieces onward.
My cats like the process too - particularly the cutting of tissue paper. As soon as I open the pattern envelope and pull out the pieces, the cats appear, well rested from a recent nap, and want in on the action. The sound must reach them rooms away and enter their kitty-dreams with promise of excitement. 

 The cutting out of pieces may take days, if I can't find a time to work without caterference.
Next in the process is to pin the pattern pieces to fabric. Before that occurs, I must have found in my stash, which is actually a minor stash full of small cuts of fabric, or have bought new fabric to suit the project. I am always agonizing over fabric purchase. Why? Well, I can agonize about many things, because I look at the purchase with a wide angle. I consider the impact production of the item has on the environment. I consider the working conditions in the factory and farm where the product was made and grown. I consider the travel from field to store and the many steps and great distances in between. Cotton is one of the most polluting crops, so it is a big consideration. I wonder how fairly compensated farmer, shipper, worker were in the process. I also must consider, can I afford 4 yards of this fabric.
So you see, I must contemplate a myriad of variables. Add to that aesthetics, and the picture is nearl complete. The final limiting factor is, the lack of local fabric shop near me, which means I have to shop at a big box store to buy fabric. Ahhhhh, well. Consumption is a complex undertaking.

I found fabric I liked and could afford at the JoAnn store in town, bonus it was on the discount rack (though discount at fabric stores are NOT what I remember from my youth.) I compromised my principle regarding environmental and fair labor practices (I did not research the labor practices, and the fabric is not organic cotton - so definitely not friendly to the water and land).
It is lovely, and if I succeed at making the overalls, they may last me 20 years as my previous pair did, so it is not a disposable garment. That helps ease the angst, so time to lay out the pattern and get pinning and cutting.


I have to jigsaw the pieces, moving, refolding, trying again until the layout makes maximum use of yardage and all pieces can be cut out on the desired bias.

My cats like to hang about and help with this process too. I revel in the opportunity to connect, and I am happy to see the old boys playful, they are 13 and 14 years old respectively. I pause my sewing and dangle some scrap fabric as a toy.

When finally all the pieces are cut out, I choose some matching thread from my colorful collection, prepare a bobbin to match, and thread the machine.
Not time to sew yet, though. I read the instructions carefully, for the tenth time. I need to be sure I understand and foresee the sequence to follow.
Before unpinning tissue paper pattern from fabric, I transfer markings, as per instruction. Okay, sometimes I don't. It depends on what the markings are to indicate. I am confident and experienced enough a sewer that I omit some things. Also, sometimes I can't find my marking pencil. Or even though I mark the piece, I can't see it after a few minutes. I scour the fabric thinking, "where did that blasted buttonhole mark go?" Actually, for this overalls project, I did carefully transfer every mark.  I want them to be wearable, comfy and nice to look at. Plus, 4 yards of fabric... that is an investment, even on discount. Really. Go to the fabric store and browse, you will quickly see what I mean. I laid out more money for fabric than I would usually pay for clothes, so I want to get it right.
Okay - marks transferred. Read the instructions again (really, I am compulsive. Family might not believe me cause the standing joke is my utter disregard for patterns, recipes, or instructions of most kinds, but when it comes to clothes sewing... shrug... compulsive).I select the pieces for the bodice and pin them together - we are on our way! (finally, sewing is preceded by many important steps).
 Sewing and pressing of seams! Huzzah! A garment begins to take shape. I feel so accomplished!
When I experience repeated snafus (needle needs to be rethreaded, seams need to be restitched because the needle needs rethreaded) then I put down the project and walk away. Sewing is best accomplished in small consistent bursts. In good light (now that my eyes are not quite as perfect vision as they have been the previous 42 years).
Day three of the project (not counting fabric purchase) and I have the top of the overalls completed and pockets pinned to pants. Tomorrow.... maybe I will get the pants finished! Dare I hope to finish the overalls entirely by end of day? More realistic is sometime next week.
I have a friend visiting for the weekend, so I shan't have time to sew Friday, Saturday or Sunday.



Comments

  1. Your telling makes me think about the Little engine that coud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write I am confident, 'Ferne will read the post.' Your comments confirm and affirm. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Love the fabric you chose!
    Poshmark is a great spot online, I found a pair of overalls on there for a great price! They are very similar to my 90s favs!!😊
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric you chose!
    Poshmark is a great spot online, I found a pair of overalls on there for a great price! They are very similar to my 90s favs!!😊
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts