Whimsical adventures


A long-time friend came for a visit last weekend. We had heaps of fun doing all the usual stuff we enjoy doing together: playing cribbage and Scrabble, browsing thrift shops, hiking and birding.
As a result of her visit here, I feel more connected to nature and my active self than I have in many a day.
I went birding and for a hike on my own today, an activity I have not done in over a year, or thereabouts. Sure I have gone on walks through the neighborhood and noticed bird activity. I have even walk the few blocks to the in town park (think playground, lawn and pavilions), but I have not sallied forth to a natural area park and meandered, hiked, or stood still and silent drinking in the space alone.
I enjoyed the experience very much. I look forward to more of the same.

The weather today provided a variety  of backdrop. In the morning I woke to find an inch of snow blanketing the world, and more softly falling. I bundled up to head to work, bringing my birding supplies, a hip bag with National Geographic's "Birds of North America" id book, my sketchbook, pencils, journal in which I record sightings, and my binoculars, of  course. A large ponds sits adjacent to the parking lot at work, and I intended to walking over to it and scanning for migrating waterfowl after I had finished teaching.

When I came out from teaching I was surprised to see all the snow had melted and I no longer needed my jacket over my heavy vest. I dropped off  the teaching supplies and my jacket in the care, put on my birding hip-sack and crossed to the farm-pond.  I saw a few temporary visitors including a Red-breasted merganser, blue-winged teal, and a pie-billed grebe sharing the wide surface area with the local frequenters of Canada Geese and mallards.
I then stopped at the home and garden supply store chain across the road from school to check the pond adjacent to the parking lot because my friend spotted a Common Loon there this weekend. WOOT! The loon was still serenely paddling on the open water. So exciting!

After a late lunch and some down time, I rallied to go to the nature park across town and go for a walk. The weather had changed yet again, low dense cloud cover greyed the sky and the temperature had dropped to near freezing again. I bundled up in layers once again, grabbed my birding hip-sack, and drove to the park.  In addition to getting my exercise and spotted many more birds. I am proud of myself. I am renewed by the time in a natural setting. I am energized by the movement and use of my body. I am thrilled by the bird sightings.

Comments

Popular Posts