A walk in the park

When people describe something as "a walk in the park", what images and emotions come to your mind?
I think about it as I reflect on my walk today. I have been steadily (as opposed to frenetically) productive all the morning accomplishing a series of tasks I set out on my 'to-do' list. A satisfying feeling as I mentally cross each one out - I do have a paper copy for reference, so I may cross those too.
I managed to balance the productivity with self-care, which increases the sense of strength and decreases the likelihood of a major crash mid-day. I ate a protein rich breakfast. Spoke to my mom on the phone, supporting emotional connections with loved ones. Drank jasmine tea, my favorite, plus antioxidant rich.
I harvested herbs to process, and to make lunch: a lovely salad complete with fresh greens harvested from the yard and garden.
While outside I took some snaps of plants I am learning about, and trying to identify.
 A thick patch of the purple blooming plant beautify my front lawn. They grow at the top and spill over an east facing slope. They are obviously in the Mint family. I have spent time and attention trying to discover what species it is. I can confidently say it is NOT ground ivy, the leaf shape and growing pattern is wrong.
I think it is Prunella sp. self-heal. It is rather short for that species, but it is also regularly mowed throughout summer. Various sources list self-heal as a common yard weed in the Eastern US, which is where and how the plant is growing.

Intermingled with the self-heal is mouse-eared chickweed, distinct from chickweed by the fact that the stems of mouse-eared chickweed are hairy all over, and chickweed has a cool single line of hairs that seems to spiral up the stem. 


In addition to garden and herb study, I navigated work related tech problems with grace and cheer. Multiple phone calls and steps later, resolution.
My top priority was to began a particular project requiring mental focus. I worked steadily on it until lunch, the delightful salad.
After lunch I decided rather than sit-down to the project again, it has a quick deadline and demands attention today, I opted for a walk.
Why? Because taking care of self will make my mental clarity sharper, my energy stable, my mood elevated and the resulting efficacy of work will be evident.  The walk post meal:
  • bolsters my digestion
  • supports my metabolism
  • gets me moving and active
  • allows my mind to nestle into a walking meditation
  • affords my body sunshine to convert into essential Vitamin D
  • lifts my mood when I interact with the animals at the park zoo (baby goats!!)
    The bay goats - ah so cute. Someday I will have a place where I can have goats. Milk goats for cheese, and goat milk yogurt, and... ice cream!
The farm also feature a lovely llama and cheery chickens.

 Next, I spent time watching the wonderful otter swim and jog about.

 Once home, I rehydrated with a delightful concoction of my own - ginger, tumeric, black pepper icee. Spicy and delicious.



Comments

Popular Posts