The sad insidiousness of mean-spirited commentary

 
 
The idea and photo of the lady brought me smile. As I scrolled down my to move along my feed, I stopped to read a few comments. Hmph, people mostly had mildly insulting or belittling things to say. 
Taken aback by the mean-spiritedness disguised as humor or righteousness, I posted a response to a comment at first:
"Actually, many people buy cotton yarn and knit with that, so using waste string is a productive use of waste. Besides, I imagine she pursues other low-consumption, low-waste practices in her life. I am saddened that people's response to her efforts in ridicule or belittling. Each effort to lesson waste has a positive impact - symbolic, educational, raising awareness, and lessening the speed at which we culturally trash accumulate."
 
I felt my comment was respectfully worded and relevant. After a moment I decided to delete it, and post in on my own wall instead. I felt engaging in a discussion with strangers was unlikely to bring any satisfaction. I figured if the individual took the time to write sarcastic and dismissive words about the article, then that person was unlikely to logically consider an alternate perspective. Additionally, they might direct a cutting response at me, and I don't need the random animosity.
I wonder if that person, or many of the folks who made similar ridiculing comments even bothered to click the link and read the short article.
The whole situation seemed symbolic of aspects of culture (social media and in person interaction) that I find disheartening, frustrating, saddening, and ubiquitous. 
I try to model positive language and respectful dialog. I don't always, or even often, have a respectful, thought-provoking response at the ready, thus I feel I could do much more to combat negative communication culture, and societal norms. 
However, I must have faith that in the intention and attention lies a way of adding positivity. 

Comments

  1. That is one whole heck of a lot of tea bags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! An overwhelming undertaking to be sure, but hey - if it floats your boat and generates conversation while not harming others... why not.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts