Words, long time friends, water -- it all flows!

Reconnected with a long time friend today, Billy Kirst, - we shared some brief chummy notes via social media messaging system. Billy plays in a bluegrass band, Wire in the Wood, describing themselves as, "prog-bluegrass locomotive pulling a lonesome psych-folk boxcar and a swingin' Hot-Club caboose." Check out there website, and buy some of their great music. If you are proximal, go see them live! 
On my very first 'is this a date' date with my now husband, we left an unsatisfying surrealist film festival viewing and wandered to a local tea shop, where unbeknownst to either of us (my fellow and I) good friends of ours were playing. Billy was jamming out along with some long time friend of my now-husband. Crazy, man, crazy,- especially since we were at Crazy Wisdom.
All these many years later (8 and counting) I am still inspired by Billy's creativity, whimsy, frequent smiles, and persistent love of playing music.  I am happy to still be chatting and hopefully someday soon hanging out with him and his fabulous family. I recall a pair of spoons I gave him and his lady on there nuptials.
After the quick correspondence, I headed out the door to return a book to the local library. Browsing titles on the new acquisition table, I opened "The Death and Life of the Great Lakes" by Dan Egan - an apropos happenstance, since my recently reconnected friend and I initial met caring for natural areas of a great lake state, Michigan. (to quote another musical friend's (Joe Reilly) lyrics: "Michigan is the state where the lakes are great, and the water is fresh so you can hydrate")

I stood rooted to the spot, reading page after page of this book about the wonderful natural phenomenon, the Great Lakes.  While I knew previously much about the lakes, and visited the shores of most, and was out on water craft on a couple, somehow the moment of reading in the library resonated to a depth heretofore uncharted. Like the mysterious and powerful Great Lakes themselves, my affinity for them is expansive.
I now need to visit them again soon. Maybe even move near the shores..  which I know my very fine fellow would love. He shares a love of water, and the Great Lakes in particular, spawned during his youth in Chicago, where Lake Michigan looms large.

Serendipitous morning. I felt charged with an energy that flows through connectivity, community, and caring for the natural world.







Comments

Popular Posts