"Christmas makes you fell emotional"

The christmas carol lyric rings true for me, especially today. I am feeling blue, a little. The holiday season is complex to navigate, excitement, anticipation, loneliness, longing, grief, glee, gladness and sentimentality all mingled.
I want to travel during my break and see far flung friends and family, yet the 1 hour trip to the store this afternoon laid me low, leaving me exhausted, shaky, and uninspired to plan a trip.
I breathe deeply and release the tension, or try. Breathe in- hold- breathe out, slowly.

Okay, that is a bit better.
I am grappling with a recent diagnosis, which I anticipated, and yet find it a heavy realization - Hashimoto's Auto-immune thyroiditis.
The conventional medical community dictates a 'watchful waiting' stance. "You numbers are low, your condition is mild. We will test your levels every 6 months. Once your thyroid is more damaged we will treat that.There is nothing that can be done and your thyroid will eventually be destroyed."
I am following a more pro-active approach - employing strategies to minimize my inflammation and immune over-reaction. Lifestyle approach (careful diet, regular exercise, mindfulness practice, and creative projects to support emotional expression and manage stress) plus herbal remedies to modulate the immune system and encourage whole body support.

I am grateful for the resilience of spirit I inherited, learned, from my family. The strength, the vulnerability, the compassion....
None the less, moments of frustration, sadness, and anxiety mix in with the gratitude and hope.

What does this have to do with Christmas? Well - you know, time off, desire to travel and see family, the reminder of Christmas's past... all those emotions mingling with health and wellness struggles.

Meanwhile, the Steeler game has started, so t-t-f-n, I am going watch the game.

Comments

  1. Love the pic of you laughing with one of your cats...and the Christmas blues issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts