Mmmm, mmm Parsnip (like MM fasshnick)

Soups are so nourishing and yummy, or so I find. I had a bunch of parsnips and was not sure how to use them. I often roast them up with other veggies, and that is tasty. In fact, that is how my soup began. I roasted some veggies. I had a pan of beets, a pan of stuffed mushrooms, a pan of  broccoli and a pan of parsnips. I could not eat all the veggies at once, so the parsnips were tucked into the fridge for the day.
Next day, I still had leftover broccoli and stuffed mushrooms, and I thought, 'oh, dear, what about these parsnips?" And that is when my idea to convert them to cream of parsnip soup emerged.


I love to craft my own recipes. I find satisfaction in the creative cooking process. The results are almost always delicious and delightful. In an effort to be able to make similar dishes more than once, a drawback of creative cooking sometimes. I have begun a recipe journal. In the composition book dedicated to the undertaking, I write down ingredients, cooking temps and times, and other relevant observations, like how the meal turned out.
I dutifully took notes immediately upon the soup simmering.

Parsnip soup

Ingredients:
For roasting portion
 5 - 7 parsnips (depending on size)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tsp ground cinnamon

For soup portion:
1 medium sized purple onion (or white, or yellow - depending on preference or what you have on hand)
2 tsp fennel seed
2 tsp coconut oil (or enough to saute' onions and fennel seed)
2 cups water or broth of choice (vegetable, chicken, beef, mushroom)
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
Roasted parsnips (see 'roasting portion' recipe segment)
1 inch of fresh ginger root
1 cup unsweetened Coconut milk (of the box variety - like almond or rice or milk of choice, though canned coconut would likely work too)

Recipe roasting portion:
  1. preheat oven to 375  
  2. cut parsnips into medallions or chunks about 1" by 1" or so
  3.  place parsnips in roasting pan (that has a lid) with coconut oil (1 tablespoon or so)
  4. sprinkle with  ground cinnamon
  5. roast for 30 minutes, or until parsnips soft *be sure to check it, cause I had so many veggies baking at once and only loosely paid heed to time, they may take more or less time to roast, sorry, my notes were minimalist and after the fact. I am learning from the process what notes to take and when.)
  6. remove from oven ( let mine cool over night in the fridge, but you could definitely move directly to soup steps)
Recipe soup portion
    onions saute in coconut oil
  1. in a heavy-bottomed soup pot heat 1 - 2 tsp coconut oil on medium heat
  2. finely chop onion
  3. place onion in heavy-bottomed soup pot
  4. add fennel
  5. saute until onions are soft and turning translucent (4-6 minutes or so)
  6. add the water (or broth of choice), peppercorns, and roasted parsnips
  7. finely grate the ginger root into broth
  8. simmer 12 minutes
  9. mash parsnips with potato masher (or, use immersion blender, or transfer to blender and puree)
  10. add coconut milk, simmer stirring very often, until milk warm and ingredients blended.
Serve warm

I took the soup to book club, and the ladies there all enjoyed it. They commented on both its spiciness (peppercorn and ginger, and cinnamon too I suppose) and its sweetness (parsnip and coconut).
The soup is free of most allergens and easy to make.
It could be even simpler, you could omit the roasting step and combine all ingredients at the outset in a crockpot and cook on low 6 hours. I will try that next time I have parsnips and report back to you on its success (of which I am confident). Or - if you make it in a crock pot leave a comment describing how it went / tasted.

When I develop a recipe, I often begin by referring to the many and varied cookbooks on my shelf. I rarely find an exact recipe that incorporates the ingredients I have to hand to accomplish the end product I desire; however, I gain ideas and direction.


Comments

Popular Posts