Sometimes it is ok to slump over a hurdle rather than leap

Completed yoga day 6 consecutive. I am beginning to associate completing a yoga session with a feling of openness, active relaxation (paradox seeming phrase, but not a paradoxical state of being), energy activation, and movement. So I looked forward to the practice, anticipating the session would add joy, vivacity, strength and focus to my day. Which I needed, for a feel a little 'off' - hazy headed, feverish felling, and not quite but almost unwell. What better way to combat oncoming funk than with flow? Yoga would get me feeling better. 
 
I was ready. Nonetheless, my body was less able than previous days to hold poses, move from pose to pose, and my mind struggled with being present. I felt myself mentally anticipating the next move, and wanting to get to it rather than spend the time in each pose, each breath, each transition. After 8 minutes or so, I accepted that the sequence I was following was not serving me today. Was in fact creating discouragement, disassociation, and a subtle (but growing) sense of failure. At which realization I gave myself permission to do a different, simpler series. 
I sought a video out, and began again on the mat.
Thus I was able to be present and fully experience the poses, breath,transition. 
 
While the practice is not about 'success', I feel more activated and affirmed by adhering to my commitment to self, 30 days consecutive yoga practice.
Each day can be a bit different in focus, in intensity, in duration. As long as I am fully present - in the moment, in the body, in the breath.
Namaste
 

Comments

Popular Posts