Sunday Morning Book Review

I recently 'checked out' "The Oh She Glows Cookbook" from the local library.  Allow me first to assert, I am not a vegan.  I occasionally eat animal protein.  Honey is my go to sweetener and immune booster.  Eggs are a staple protein in my diet.
Next I will attest, I am a big supporter of vegan additions to my menu.  I revel in legumes, fresh veggies and complex grains.  I am a recent smoothie affecionado, having added the singel serve high speed blender to my appliance array.
Final caveat, I am a prolific cookbook reader and collector, which my close friends might find mildly amusing as I am not a recipe adherer (or pattern follower, or any form of instruction as strict direction user). Nonetheless, my culinary adventures are based on a passion for high quality, organic ingredients, a desire for wellness, an appreciation for simplicity, and the adventures of others (as discovered in cookbooks and conversations with cooks of all types).

Now, I begin my book review, having established a context of sorts. I have yet to make anything from the book, but many pages are bookmarked soon to be made.  In fact when I finish this post I am heading directly to the blender to make "flu-fighter sunshine smoothie". No, I do not have the flu, but the smoothie sounds so tasty and I could use an immune boost having been exposed to some sneezing, sniffing, congested folks close at hand at a knitting class yesterday.

The pictures in the book are striking, well composed, colorful and frequent.  The images make my mout water in delight and anticipation. The recipes are straightforward and read as simple to construct.  The steps are clear and most come with a chatty accompaniment from the author.  She shares inspirations, experimentation steps, mishaps and successes.  Such conversational inserts add a chummy feel to the book.

The recipes are divided into logical categories: breakfast; smoothies, juices & tea; appetizers; salads; soup; entrees; sides; power snacks; desserts;  and homemade staples. Other sections include her story, the vegan pantry and a cooking chart.

All in all I am drawn to the book.  I may seek it out at a book store to add to my collection rather than rely on occasional borrows from the library.   It seems to be a 'go to' sort of cookbook.  I will reserve final decision until I make a few recipes.



Comments

Popular Posts