resonant recommendations

I recently received a referral to a 'weight loss clinic' during a doctor's appointment. The appointment is to aide me onto a ketonic diet. Well, I dunno if weight loss is the best referral. I want to reduce inflammation, and will undertake a temporary 'elimination' diet - wherein I avoid consuming items likely to cause inflammation.
Actually, I have been working on such an endeavor since September. With careful research and cross referencing, I undertook removing key plant families and categories of food from my diet that frequently cause inflammation or impede thyroid function. But, if my insurance will cover the appointment I figure more information, resources, and potential support in the journey to wellness is welcome.
Those of you who know me may be thinking, "your diet is already restrictive or at least highly specialized." An apt observation.
I have been dairy free for 17 years.
I have been gluten-free for 9 years.
I avoid fried foods.
I eat only organic when at all possible.
I avoid processed foods.
I drink filtered water.
I avoid pop or sweetened beverages.
I eat minimal sugar / sweeteners.

In the previous couple months I removed nightshades from my diet: I avoid eggplant, potato, tomato and peppers.  I have learned that I do negatively react to nightshades, especially potatoes. I don't really like tomatoes or peppers. I hardly ever ate eggplant, though I was just beginning to cultivate an affinity. Ah, well. I do miss cayenne based spice of the hot sauce variety. I may reintroduce hot sauce as a spice, eventually.

So, for the next few weeks I also eliminate all grains, legumes, and any goat cheese / yogurt (which I have on occasion).

I am looking forward to lots of lovely fresh vegetables, egg dishes, seafood, poultry and various mammals (beef, lamb, bison, venison if I am lucky!).

I have eaten hardly any grains, beans or nuts the previous few weeks - and i am feeling much better. MUCH.
Now to be hyper-vigilant in my food log, and attentive to how my body feels and functions. Then, after a few weeks, I can reintroduce, slowly and with attention (and intention) grains, which I do miss. The quick fix of a bowl of popcorn. The crunch of root chips. Celery and carrot will fill the crunch void for now. And nuts, for they are in the mix. (wa, wa, wa...).

Food, herbs, exercise, and meditation  - these are the center of my wellness. I find self-care far mor effective and satisfying than the medical community contributions. Perhaps because the system is not set-up to see me as a whole person, with complex and individual needs rather than a list of symptoms and a set of test results.

I am not impressed with my new doctor, but, I am not sure there is a good fit for me in the mainstream medical establishment, anyway. This doctor had little time for me, and walked away even as we were still talking, words trailing to me as she walked down the hallway. She did not tell me she was going to refer me for bloodwork or what tests she intended to run. The only thing she did do was refer me to a weightloss clinic for a change in my diet (without actually discussing my current diet with me, or she would recognize that I already am following an anti-inflammatory diet regime.)


Comments

Popular Posts