A day of making

Winter Solstice Celebration,  Yule gathering last night fueled my spirit.
I centered myself yesterday, the winter solstice, by beginning the day in nature with a sunrise walk at the local park. I stood in the forest, faced east over the bog cum pond and watched as the cloud thick sky brightened slowly and subtly. No colorful or bright sunrise, which is fitting for the onset of winter.
The temperatures did not dip below freezing, though, so the walk was comfortable in my woolen layers.
The birds, trees, plants of other types, and small woodland creatures provided company as I meditatively walked.

I stopped at an overlook of the water  complete with a bench and practiced my morning yoga routine, or a variation of which I could complete bundled in layers.

I also stopped at times to sing songs
"Mother Earth I feel you under my feet
Mother, I feel your heart beat"

or, to a snag now slowly decomposing in the space where once it was robust live tree,

"Standing like a tree,
       with my roots dug down
              my branches wide and open
Calm down the rain
    Calm down the sun
          Calm down the fruit
To a  heart that is open to be standing like a tree..."

I even stood listening to the conversing geese, inspired to draw and write poetry.
Ah, winter.

I fed my body as well as I fed my soul, with warm broths and fresh vegetables.

Then in the evening, my fine fellow, Angelo, joined me to attend the Yule Gathering, where with friends, friendly acquaintances, and strangers, we shared song, poem, and spiritual message.
"We are a circle
We are within a circle
We are one
I am spirit, and I flow in you.
You are spirit, and you flow in me"



Today, I enjoyed a day of making.
Making herbal medicinal concoctions, making hearty meals, making teas, salves, music, stories and crafts.

So the winter begins, in wellness, in solitude, in joy, in letting go - of expectations, former connections, and holiday rituals of yore.
"I carry you in light, to heal you, to hold you" I carry myself in light, with love and peace.
And in so doing, I carry all my world in light. Even in the dark of winter, or perhaps, especially in the dark of winter. For the quiet, contemplative time refills me and affords opportunity to follow the natural cycles.
"Air I am
Water I am
Fire, and Earth and Spirit I am"

Comments

Popular Posts