The Woodlanders

I have, this moment, finished reading The Woodlanders, by Thomas Hardy.
The ending was not at all what I anticipated, but before I discuss my thoughts on the book, I shall discuss other thoughts.
The span of time it took me to read this book encapsulates the span of time of a most recent, intimate and ultimately short-lived friendship with a kindred spirit, the very person who recommended The Woodlanders to me. There is a poetic fitness to the fact; fitting with the general tone of the book.
While time passes and many characters are involved in various emotional encounters and address interpersonal struggles, in some ways nothing changes twixt open and close of the book. Which is sort of the case with my story - we two characters involved in various emotional encounters and interpersonal struggles, in some ways nothing changed twixt open and close of the relationship, especially when viewed from the outside.

Grace, adjusts to her circumstances and eventually makes a choice on her own.
 Fitzpiers matures and learns  steadiness and consistence.
Giles remains true to his principles, though cannot see beyond his desire.
Melbury  strives to learn from his mistakes, but only marginally succeeds.
Marty, ever true of heart, hard-working, loyal and generous is my favorite character. I would like to have seen more of her story and perspective. Maybe I will write a tale of Marty.

Comments

Popular Posts