A day of games and a plan

I began my day by facilitating a workshop entitled "Student Engagement Through Group Building."   I am most pleased to report the session went marvelously.  I had 12 participants, adequate for leading meaningful activities.  The participants were involved mentally and physically in the process.  We had great, if brief, discussions regarding transferring the knowledge to the classroom setting.  One thing I love about group building is that it is play.

Later in the day my fellow and I played some tennis. Not a game scored, but merely sustained volleying.  We ran and laughed and playfully batted the tennis ball about the court.

The evening ended with monthly board game night with some friendlike folks.  I learned a new game taught well.  The mechanism and pace was fun - dices, tiles, and choices choices choices.

All in all I must say, the energy of spring flowed through the community in a spirit of fun.

I have a new goal - write a using group building in the college classroom handbook (manual, reference text).  I took some post workshop notes to help catalyze the process.
Late at night is not my optimal writing time, so now is not the time to develop the content. I need to set up some structured writing time weekly and a deadline for development.
I have other planning and curriculum development goals.  Note how my train of thought is frightfully tangential, resulting in very disjointed flow.
Deep breath.  
  1. Deadline for handbook outline / table of contents end of May.
  2.  Then research through the summer, 
    • read, record,
    •  pose questions,
    •  develop comprehensive answers, 
3.  create works cited (annotated bibliography, actually would be preferable) by end of summer, 

4.  then write content draft and collection of activities, 
    • including a spreadsheets to cross reference by discipline application, by main focus, by number of participants, by environment / space to include in index or appendix over fall winter
5.  finished first draft by April 15, 2014.

Comments

Popular Posts