No stalgia, please.

Upon returning a book to the shelve, I decided to pull from the collection another book, a photo album actually.  So I paged through recalling the folks, the events, the locations and the version of me that was. I found myself saddened by how separate I am from that me, those places and people.  Time, yes, yes, I know; the natural drift of life along ever changing currents leads each individual forward on a journey.  The intersections with others are real and meaningful as they occur, yet not destined to longevity....

A well known reality, and often lamented cycle.  Still creeps up and springs on the psyche from time to time. I have noticed, when I look in the mirror lately, that my face has lost its youthful countenance.  I sport nearly omni-present purple circles under my eye, along with tiny wrinkles and peaks of skin.  The outer corner of my eye has a pronounced reddish line that indicates to me 'unwellness' as I associate the line with my migraines.  My eyes have a sadness? lamentation? in their depth.  Overall I feel I look haggard and drawn, with a bit of a second chin to back up the first.  All of the characteristics are natural, but I seem to have noticed their presence all at once.  Corresponding with aging parents health concerns and a realization that 39 is not 29, or even 33.  After my bought of Lyme disease my joints are often tender and stiff, accentuating the deterioration of my body.

Mind me not, I will eat dinner with my fine caring fellow, and undoubtedly my spirits will be renewed.  Age is irrelevant and life an ever shifting scene and story.  I am sure that the 18 and counting days of overcast sky, low clouds, high barometric pressure and humidity are also impacting my mood.
Consider this reflection finished. No, stalgia, please.

Comments

Popular Posts