View from bike path overlooking river valley

Before I return my current selection to the library, I want to note titles and thoughts on texts for future reference.

Allergy Friendly Food for Families, a collection of "120 gluten free, dairy free, nut-free, egg free and soy free recipes everyone will love" comprised by the Editors of Kiwi magazine.
    Let me begin by noting the list above implies that each included recipe is free of all the ingredients named, which is not true.  Some recipes are free of some listed ingredients, but include others; the reader must carefully view each recipe.  The page ends do have a color-coded scheme for quick reference of just which ingredients the recipe is free of, or if a modification is listed to make the recipe free of that ingredient.
     The recipes tend toward the 'kid-friendly', emphasizing popular child preferred styles of food.  Also, the book relies on pre-prepared and processed products, of which I am not a fan.  Overall I would give the book a 4 out 10 on a refer to it for cooking scale.  Yes, the author addresses omission of standard ingredients, but with out making a change in perspective from mainstream modern American 'quick and easy' food prep. 

Deliciously G-Free: Food So Flavorful They'll Never Believe It's Gluten-Free by Elisabeth Hasselbeck.
         The focus of the book is gluten free, not any other ingredient omission or substitution.  I do note the beginning of the book is spent explaining making the psychological transition from mainstream to gluten free eating and cooking.  Hasselbeck then goes on to explain the importance of establishing a gluten-free kitchen to avoid inadvertent contamination.  An important discussion for folks entirely new to the concept of gluten-free needs, or who have extreme sensitivities.  She discusses elements of various grains and flours; however, her discussion is limited and simplistic.  Other cookbook and gluten-free focused publications do a more thorough job of the discussion.
      The recipes are very dairy heavy, so I do not find the book particularly useful, as I still need modify each recipe before using it.  I give it a 5 of 10 on scale of refer to it for cooking.
      *though, I did get my inspiration for mini-quiches from this book, which I modified and used to great success on many occasions.

Comments

Popular Posts