'except when you don't' - slumps and bumps

As Suess wisely notes in "Oh the Places You'll Go," everyone has slumps, and times when the Hackengracks howl.
No hackengracks are howling, just now, but I feel slumpy.
The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, yet I am in a dark room hunkered down on a couch.
I have accomplished some 'prep for fall term' tasks today - my goal for the week.
But I know by the pressure in my eyes and head, the tender rigidity and swelling in my joints, the edema and overall blah that I am in for continued unwell feeling in the coming days.
I have been on a quest to wellness for years (it is an ongoing journey for many of us, the journey to wellness).
I think people who generally feel well can't fathom the drain of near constant pain, the oppression of always navigating symptoms.  I often think others probably conclude I am lazy, or a wuss, or just too prone to think I am unwell.
I know that the symptoms are real (not in my head, metaphorically speaking, since some are physiologically in my cranial muscles, capillaries and neurons in my head).  However, the need to rest, be still, hydrate, and elevate (swollen feet, for example), seem like I am giving in to minor issues.
"Buck up." "Power through." are sentiments I hear stated, read in facial expression and see in body language.
When I feel good, stable, able to do - I do, I am a doer! But when I am laid low - I lay low.
Maybe folks will perceive this entry as whining. I don't intend that tone - I am not complaining, whinging or even lamenting, really.
I am just pausing to reflect that somedays I am unwell - and even if other's don't understand, that does not negate my experience.
I am grateful for the journey - the people in my life who love me in my various moods, energies, and actions. I trust that my journey to wellnes - my effort to be well, my belief in my ability to be well, will enable me to live as actualized a life as possible.  I will manage pain by caring for my whole being.
I urge you to care for you too. You are a wonderous being worthy of wellness and joy.

Comments

  1. Correct. To be ill, or have a condition that isn't "visible" makes it very hard for healthy people to understand. I feel judged(not by those close)by people that don't get it. "Eat better!" "You just need exercise." "Have tried *insert super basic health trend*?" "You'll be fine, it's not like you're dying."
    People just don't get it. This is why I like cats. So when I do wallow in a dark room my cat gives me his unconditional, non judgemental company. Unless I move too much, then he leaves. :)
    Hang in there! You are not alone!
    Your Niece,
    Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hug! and laugh. Your wit is awesome. Maybe we should connect by phone more often, lady! See you at color club tonight (I hope - if it works in your schedule).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts