My bracelets of purple

Today I am wearing my purple-beaded bracelets on my left rather than my write hand; a simple subtle shift that intensifies my awareness of the experience.
Profound? No, just a minor metaphor that sometimes to attend to the details or attributes of an experience or person, interacting from an atypical entry heightens awareness.
Routine is comforting and ritualistic, and occasionally numbs the senses. 
When I took my "Improvisation" class in graduate school, we learned 20 rules - "Bring a brick not a building"; "Yes, and rather than No, but"; and "make the familiar strange and the strange familiar".

Excellent rules useful beyond the confines of the improvisational ensemble. Life is improvisational ensemble.
 Accept what other's offer you (Yes, and) and build from there (bring a brick not a building).
Allow yourself to shift perspective and consider that with which you think you know as unknown, thereby opening yourself up to possibility (make the familiar strange) and be open to the unknown or new (and the strange familiar).

As I revisit the above sentiment, I pause and realize - yikes! I took that class over 10 years ago... nearly 15. Why are we so shocked by and obsessed with time? Crazy species.


Comments

Popular Posts