the bluebird of happiness nests in my yard

That is the reference, right? The bluebird of happiness, no matter where you search for it, is found in your own back yard. This quote always makes me think of Dad, he used to refer to it, he was a big fan of home and family as the source of happiness.
I have a small glass bluebird chotchke I keep in the window. The sunshines on and through it, and I smile each time I see it. Thanks Bluebird, thanks sunshine, thanks Dad.

I recently finished reading Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, with its own bluebird references.
I first heard of Gretchen Rubin when I stumbled onto her blog 3 years ago. I listened to episodes of "Happier" as I renovated 'Wanda', the nickname for my little camper, the happy wanderer.
I found the conversations between Gretchen and her sister and co-host, Elizabeth, both interesting and inspiring. The behavior scientist in me enjoyed the rewards / punishment (gold stars and demerits) approach to finding and supporting happiness in daily life.
I found myself thinking more about how I invited and blocked happiness in my life, and what I could change.
I found the book equally interesting, and occasionally inspiring. I may not fully agree with all Gretchen asserts, but as she notes, "Each person's happiness project is unique."

Comments

Popular Posts