Burdock bounty

I am pleased to report that this morning I motivated myself to harvest burdock root. I found my digging pitchfork and headed to the patch.  I dug out nearly a dozen root, stopping when my muscles said, 'that is enough for us today, we have used all our strength, thank you." I will spend time another morning harvesting more.
With the roots I dug today, I am going to use them as food, rather than process them as herbal dried root for later use.  I am looking forward to a few delectable dishes - I am thinking stir-fried with chicken and other veg, and another meal in a stew with lamb.

Since my muscles weren't up to more digging, but the patch was still in morning shade and I had some vim remaining, I decided to harvest some burdock seed, so I would have seed ready for planting another burdock patch, or if I move I can be sure to have burdock growing.

I put the stems into a paper bag, then cut the stem from the plant. Next I vigorously shook the stem inside the paper bag, releasing the seeds from the burrs.

In this way I collected sufficient seed and avoided wrangling with the burrs.

"Oh frabjous day, calloo, calay [I] chortled in [my] joy." (from Louis Carroll's 'The Jabberwocky".)

Comments

Popular Posts