Home-made hazelnut and cocoa spread

I enjoy the flavor and texture of a creamy hazelnut meets chocolate spread, yet I for a few reasons (dietary and ethical) I do not eat the store bought brand.
(dietary = cannot ingest dairy; ethical = not purchase palm oil because it has steep environmental cost)
Today, I experimented with a home-made version. It still needs further tweeking of ratio, but the ingredients I have got spot on:
  • raw hazelnuts, ground 
  • cocoa powder
  • cinnamon, ground
  • raw coconut oil
  • sea salt, ground fine

I ground the hazelnuts fine using a Nutri-bullet.
I added cocoa powder and mixed the two until evenly distributed.
*I would recommend also adding the cinnamon and salt (a pinch) at this point. When experimenting today I skipped this step because I did not decide to add either until I tasted the batch, which led me to add cinnamon for sweetness and flavor, and salt to make all the flavors pop effectively.

To the solids (ground) I added raw coconut oil in it solid state.  I mixed all ingredients until spreadable consistency.

So, I know, not exactly a recipe as I provide no measurements. Specificity to follow upon measured tests. Meanwhile - try it out for yourself, blend to your taste! Have fun.


Comments

Popular Posts