Humility and inspiration

I am humbled and inspired by my niece Stacy. She recently had a birthday, and though sometimes I see her in my minds eye as the vivacious 6 year old full of laughter and spunk calling for Pap-Pap's attention or hamming it up for the camera, I realize she is a mother in her own right.

I don't see her in person or even talk with her as often as I want (or even try).  She is pretty busy - a mother of four, including 2 teens and not quite tween and a toddler.  Add to that the fact that two of her kids have some pretty specific accommodation needs, and the breadth of her busy-ness begins to be clear.

What humbles and inspires me is her strength and character. When I visited her house I was impressed by the fact that she hung empowering quotes in each of her daughter's rooms - inspiring, powerful quotes, which the girls see everyday.

If you would have told me when Stacy was eight or ten years old the variables Stacy would have to manage and navigate I would have thought, "no, she won't handle that." Or maybe I would not have thought that, it is just she was the baby of the family - youngest of three, coddled by her oldest sister (or that's how I remember it, they might disagree, though I think Kelly, the middle sister would agree with me), prone to whining in the face of difficulty, (again, maybe that is just how I remember it), and sort of... flighty... or perhaps a better description is easily distracted by the activity and excitement inherent in chaotic large family visits. Maybe I could have seen her capacity for love and deep strength even then if I looked harder.  Or maybe the strength and self-reliance developed over time in response to personal experience and growth. The loving nature, well I see it when I watch the videos of young Stacy - quick to smile and hug and laugh. Maybe that is why she got so much attention from her big sister.
I am rambling and meandering a bit, maybe because I am tired from the nearly eight hour drive I just made in order to visit with Stacy and her kidkins, which is what humbles me. I drove a mere 8 hours in fair weather alone and feel drained and tired and like I accomplished a task that involves overcoming personal challenge. Yet Stacy just made a more than 24 hour trip the lone driver in a car of 4 kids evacuating a storm center state.   She had to organize and pack special gear and supplies for 5. And she did it successfully and probably with a positive attitude (I have not seen her yet, but I know that is her style).
I anticipate a great visit with her tomorrow. I look forward to spending some time with the twins, "Miss Chatty Cathy" (an endearing nickname my husband has for Stacy's youngest daughter because she is so outgoing and talkative with us the last mutual visit to PA),and a cuddle with the wee lad who recently turned one.
Have I conveyed that I am inspired by this powerhouse of a women I am honored to be related to? I don't know how to express the feeling, how to best be her friend and provide support from so far away. I want to know her better - infrequent visits and social media serve as our only communication - but the connection runs far deeper.

Comments

Popular Posts