Make those final harvests

Awake before sun-up, I drink some tasty green tea with jasmine, have a hearty garlic toast piece, and knit. Crisp cool morning air eeks through the slightly open window.  The full moon set - so bright as it sank behind the trees. A while later the pink hued clouds in the eastern sky heralded sunrise.
As the world lightened, I made way to the yard to commune with the plants and make a final harvest of mints: chocolate mint, spearmint, and catnip.
The powdery mildew appears on a few leaves, so I am pleased to get the harvest done while the leaves remain verdant, green and vibrant.
I meander over to the garden and harvest some ripe tomatoes, pull a few small daikon, and clip some rainbow chard.
My harvest has been meager this year, so i have learned that starting the garden early does not inevitably result in abundant yield. In fact, the opposite may be true, the cool soil and minimal sunshine of early spring may stunt growth of some plants.

I also expect the soil was deplete of nutrients.


Comments

Popular Posts