lake michigan and back again

Yesterday, on a whim, my husband and I drove the 2 hours plus north to Lake Michigan. We arrived in New Buffalo Michigan around 4 pm, then spent a glorious afternoon and evening basking in the peace of lake shore and small town.
For the previous three weekends we planned on making a day or weekend trip; however, my wellness did not inspire travel. I am so excited that I am stronger and pain free, so we wanted to be sure to make a trip.
Angelo enjoyed driving up along Indiana country roads, past cornfields showing signs of autumn, yellows and browns, beneath a bright blue sky.
Our moods reflected the day: bright, calm, and colorful. As we approached the lake, Angelo perked up even further, always a fan of an expanse of water.

Once at the lake, we began by just sitting on the sand, leaned against a driftwood log, looking out over the aqua and blue hued lake until it met the grey-purple sky.

We soon had a scrumptious dinner we brought from home - buckwheat, lamb & bison meatball, leek, kale, garlic and hummus.  Enjoying the breeze, the glimpses of sun from behind the clouds, and the lapping of waves on the shore we felt utterly content.
Later in the evening we walked along the marina and up the hill to town. The shops, typical of a touristy shore town, displayed an array of t-shirts, chotchkes, and artifacts.

I admired a hand-stamped silver bracelet, which my fellow promptly bought for me.
The bracelet,stamped, "Lake Michigan", provided a fitting souvenir celebrating the impromptu trip to New Buffalo, and the many other times we visited the shores of Lake Michigan over our 8 years together.
After the delightful walk through town, we returned to the beach and hiked the dunes. I was amazed I had capacity to walk so much, on incline and stairs especially. Each step I reminder I am healing, returning to my strength. I strolled leisurely, and allowed myself to pause whenever needed. Because I recognized and honored my needs I was able walk the distance and climb the dunes. Gratitude abounds! I also know that with the incremental activity, I fuel future healing. Huzzah! to each accomplishment.

The gulls flew in groups along the shore, below our elevated vantage  point. The grass moved lightly in the breeze. The bright yellow primrose stood as bold spots of color among the tan and green hues of grass and sand. The scent on the breeze was of summers farewell and autumns greeting. We sat on the boardwalk platform atop the dunes enjoying the view, the music drifting on the air from a nearby musician, and especially we enjoyed the peaceful time together. 


We walked back down to the car, packed a bag with snacks and layers, in case the air cooled further as the sunset, then found a spot on the beach to enjoy the falling dusk and eventual sunset. We could not see the sun through the dense clouds, yet the shades of purple and blue provided beauty enough.


 


We visited Lake Michigan shores from the north of the lake, from Chicago, from the Indiana Dunes, and from the southern corner of Michigan.






All seasons present a perfect time to visit the lake, brisk fall, icy winter, barren early spring, vibrant late spring, and sunny summer. 

We stopped to drink in the peace and beauty morning, day and evening. Lake Michigan serves as respite, vacation, brief road trip stop, a restorative vista, and destination. 




Comments

Popular Posts