the temptation to skip an entry

I have had a busy and demanding day. I just returned from an impromptu trip resulting in a missed day of classes. That is to say, I missed the day of classes, the students delivered speeches into video for me to watch and grade.
The house is unraveling - rooms in disarray with piles of unfolded clean laundry, dirty dishes, and random sundry willy-nilly about the rooms.  I feel the fray and stress of mind when the house is discombobulated, but I have no time to clean and arrange, for other demands pull my attention.
Add the layer of taking the car to the garage for some muffler work - and you have the frenetic pace of the day.
Making sure to get my regular interval meals with adequate protein and vegetable portions was a challenge I managed, with only one mid-day 'crash', from which I rallied well.
 So, the time, attention, and energy required for a post seemed tempting to avoid. "I'll just miss one day's entry, I am exceeding my goal so I need not post today."  I told myself.

However, momentum is a powerful force, and when it shifts it can be tricky to wield (or woo) back in one's favor. The momentum of the blog writing is with me at present. I am forming a habit, so I opt to maintain the momentum. Also, the stats reveal folks are linking to the page, and one presumes reading or skimming my entries, a thrilling feeling, a motivating inspiration, and a real accountability.
Yesterday's entry was whimsical and brief. Two in a row of such fluff and I risk losing momentum in a different way. 
I am proud of myself for committing to today's entry and dedicating the time, thought, and focus. By persistently writing on the blog, I am building my habit of writing.  I am honoring my priority to self to be a writer.  I keep my connection to word, idea structuring, and chatty kinship with readers.

Plus, I get that satisfying feeling of having followed through on an obligation to self. I can do it. I am dong it. I have the capacity to achieve my goals. Not to shabby a payback of emotion for a few paragraphs.

What promises are you making to yourself? How are you honoring those promises?
What motivates you to persist?

I welcome comments and questions.


Comments

Popular Posts