Forming a plan, and getting underway

It is not secret I am on a long, slow, meandering journey to wellness. I can't report on progress, because measuring wellness is difficult; do I compare it to where I was? Where I want to be? Others? Intentions?
I will report that I have been unwell more often than well in the preceding months. Since June I have spent more days (and nights) burdened with pain - of seemingly every cell in my body - on more days than I have been pain free. I suffered from more migraines than I have for nearly a year.
I am having a 'good day' today.  My energy is balanced and has sustained all day, I have not headache pain or affiliated symptoms of a migraine, and my joint stiffness and pain is minimal. A good day.
I am careful not to overtax myself, for that may result in a return of pain, migraine, fatigue and many other unpleasant experiences.
I am grateful for the day.
I am hopeful for the coming days.

I am using this good day to plan. 
I have been researching food and it's relationship to inflammation and triggering physiological responses.
Seven years ago I went on 5 week program focusing on eating only fresh vegetables and quality meats, eaten on a careful rotation (known as a rotation diet). After the 5 weeks I felt so much stronger and healthier. I undertook the strict plan in an effort to heal an imbalance of the flora in my gut, and to counteract a systemic Candida overgrowth.
The program I am about to follow is similar in practice.  I am hoping this time to support healthy adrenal function, rekindle healthy metabolism, restore gut health and return balance to intestinal flora, reduce inflammation, and discover any specific food triggers affecting me.

I am excited at the wide range of delicious meals I will eat, and know that since I will be careful to plan and shop, I will have supplies needed on hand, and will fuel myself with high quality, delicious and abundant foods.

I am no Pollyanna, though, I know the 30 days (I am starting with 30 days and then assessing if i need to go a little longer or if I can begin the slow and intentional reintroduction process (reintroducing grains, legumes, goat dairy, soy... in a methodical manner, all the while paying attention to how I react to the reintroduced item).  I am sure some days will be discouraging or difficult, and am planning for that too!
I have brainstormed ideas, like scheduling a massage 2 weeks in and 4 weeks in, to both help flush the toxins from my system, promote circulation and health, and reduce stress. Also, I will have something to look forward to, since if I break my intentions, I must reschedule the massage for 2 weeks into a successfully achieved plan.

Before I begin I will articulate my goals. I will make inspirational reminder signs and post them where I can see them to encourage myself throughout the 30 days.

I am going to arrange a buddy to call if I am struggling. The buddy will know my goals and be at the ready to provide moral support and encouragement.
I will also do a daily check-in on how the plan is going and how I am feeling. Awareness of self and relationship to food (and its effect on me) are part of the process.

I think fall, this time of abundant produce, and transition, is an ideal time for my journey. I can allow the natural cycles to sustain my change. I will be discarding behaviors and attitudes no longer useful to my growth, as a tree discards leaves. I will retreat a bit into myself for quiet and reflection, as the trees seem to do in winter.


Comments

Popular Posts